~ Gourmet – August 2008 by Ruth Cousineau
Instead of the often-leaden, mayo-heavy supermarket slaw, why not try this wonderfully crisp version? The ginger and rice vinegar provide a fresh, clean flavor, and the serrano gives it just the right spark of heat.
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled ginger
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or sesame oil)
- 1 fresh serrano chile, finely chopped, with seeds
- 1 small head Napa cabbage (1 1/2 pounds), cored and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- Whisk together vinegar, sugar, ginger, oil, chile, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss well. Let stand, tossing occasionally, 10 minutes.