~ lunchboxbunch.com – September 2009
One of the most delicious coleslaws we’ve ever had! This recipe is very forgiving and can handle a good amount of substitutions, so give it a try.
~ vegan, makes 8 cups
- 1 medium head of green cabbage, chopped into thin strips
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- optional: 1 green apple, chopped (we used a Macintosh and it was just fine)
Seedy Tahini Dressing
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar (or more of cider vinegar or lemon)
- 1/4 cup maple or agave syrup
- 1 large orange, juiced
- 4-5 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder or 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
(you can use a blend of whatever seeds you prefer)
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (black and/or white seeds)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
- Other seed ideas: poppy, flax, fennel
- Prep your cabbage by slicing it in half and chopping it into thin fine bits. Place chopped cabbage in a large bowl.
- Next, chop your onion and add to bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk your ‘dressing’ together. You can add seeds directly to dressing mixture as well. Pour dressing over top of cabbage/onions. Toss well. Really well.
- Cover bowl and place cole slaw in fridge for at least an hour to chill and marinate. This slaw tastes delicious when made a day ahead of serving time.
- Serve chilled! Garnish with additional sesame/pumpkin seeds.