~ Excerpted from Feasting at Home
This simple kohlrabi salad recipe with cilantro and lime zest is dressed with a refreshing citrus vinaigrette made with fresh orange juice. It’s vegan and gluten free, and surprisingly filling, while remaining low in calories. Substitute sliced fennel, apple, jicama, cucumber or cabbage for part of the kohlrabi for more diversity.
- 6 cups (about three 4″ bulbs) kohlrabi, cut into matchsticks or grated in a food processor
- ½ cup chopped cilantro (one small bunch)
- ½ jalapeño, minced
- ¼ cup chopped scallion
- zest and juice from one orange
- zest and juice from one lime
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (juice form one orange)
- 1/8 cup lime juice plus 1 tbsp (juice from one large lime), more to taste
- ¼ cup honey (or agave syrup)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Trim and peel kohlrabi. Cut off two ends. Cut in half from top to bottom. Thinly slice, rotate and slice again, making 1/4 inch matchsticks.
- Place in large bowl with chopped cilantro, scallions, finely chopped jalapeño (1/2), lime zest and orange zest.
- Whisk dressing together in a small bowl. Toss with salad. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish with zest and cilantro. This tastes good the next day too.