Would you like to gain the skills for self sufficiency, or start your own CSA and/or market garden? Then spend the spring and summer with us at Chick-a-biddy Acres! You will take away all the skills and methods required to live the dream. Your days will be spent outdoors and on the move for a greatly rewarding, healthy and strengthening experience.
Chick-a-biddy is entering our 17th season of production and has 13 years experience with hosting interns. We are looking for 2 people with enthusiasm about food and farming, stamina and an abundance of positive attitude.
We are a 85 member CSA farm set on 72 acres of scenic Trent Hills pastureland, 30 minutes east of Peterborough. We sell our produce at markets in Peterborough and through our CSA program.
Farm activities you will be involved with:
- Greenhouse operations – from early spring/summer seed propagation to the season extension in the fall
- Soil building techniques/cover cropping/composting
- Field work – tractors/rototillers/raised bed preparations/transplanting/seeding/weed management
- CSA share organization from harvest through delivery
- Customer relations at drop offs and farmers’ market
- Livestock care and management – minding pastured poultry, laying hens, heritage turkeys
- Building projects
The 5 acres of mixed vegetable production and the 4 greenhouses — along with the livestock and eggs — offer a broad scope of education. With the help of enthusiastic and dedicated interns, Chick-a-biddy Acres has been providing members with quality meat, vegetables and eggs since 2000.
What We Offer
- Teaching you the skills to carry forward to your dream garden vision
- Peaceful natural environment working alongside friendly & knowledgable farmers
- Living in separate home from main farmhouse with laundry, internet, separate bedrooms, kitchen, library. Your comfort is very important to us
- All food supplied by us including off farm purchases (bread, butter, milk, cheese, etc.)
- Delicious organic shared meals at lunch
- One workshop monthly at different farms in the CRAFT Kawartha node. Local field trips to nearby farms in the neighbourhood (dairy, goats, etc.)
- $100 weekly stipend – this is a means of offsetting any other costs you may have and as a thank you for your commitment; it is not intended as a hourly compensation
- One week vacation during your internship
What You Offer
- Most importantly a keen interest and a deep commitment to small scale sustainable market gardening & to developing your farming skills
- Some experience in some aspect of gardening, landscaping, tree planting etc. would be great – but is not required
- Willingness to endure long physical hours in all weather conditions
- Curiosity, perseverance, and flexibility
- Positivity, understanding and willingness to learn
- Class G Driver’s License
Chick-a-biddy Acres is part of the Collaborative Regional Alliance for Farmer Training (CRAFT) in the Kawartha node: www.craftfarms.ca
Through CRAFT, interns get to visit other farms in the node for workshops and tours, as well as meet interns on other farms in the Kawarthas.
The internship runs from May 2 – October 31. We work 5.5 days per week, approximately 10 hour days with an hour off for lunch and 2 daily 20 min breaks.
For the right candidates we can be flexible on the start/end dates. Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!